Book cleaning project -Reply

Never been there, never done that, and really hope I don't have to!  At
least not until you have so I can crib from all your experience!  Sorry
about dinner that last night at ALA.  I just could not get home to Maggie
and back in time.  How far are you from the heckman bindery?  maybe I
can combine business with pleasure and get to see you and your shop
sometime!

>>> Lorraine Olley <olley@xxxxxxxxxxx> 03/05/97 10:14am >>>
After nearly 30 years of gathering moss (and dust and mold and
mildew),  we are finally considering launching a major book cleaning
project at the  IU Main Library, which houses about 4 million volumes.
We're  thinking of making this a library-wide effort, modeled on our
barcoding  project, in which all staff are involved.  The Preservation
Dept. will  provide training, dust masks, gloves, dustcloths and other
supplies.  I have a couple of questions:

1.	Has anyone had any experience with this type of project?  If so,
please share your experience with planning and implementation.  I'm
especially interested in methods used to build enthusiasm among staff
for  very dirty work.  Tips on training are also welcome.

2.	Has anyone linked condition surveying to a major collection
cleaning/refurbishing project?  If so, how?

3.	Does anyone use ordinary hand-held vacuums (e.g.,
Dustbusters)  for cleaning books?  If so, what adaptions are necessary?

Thanks.

Lorraine Olley				olley@xxxxxxxxxxx
Head, Preservation Department		812/855-6281
Main Library E050			812/855-2576 (fax)
Indiana University			http://www.indiana.edu/~libpres
Bloomington IN 47405