Re: Trombone slides, etc.

     know use slides made by a firm in Germany, although one that I have
     discussed this with wouldn't name the source. I can find out if you
     want. Regarding the "I hope he knows how to spin a bell", bells of
     sackbuts were never spun. They were hammered to shape on a stake and
     then burnished onto a case-hardened mandrel. Spinning only came in to
     general use in the 19th century. Needless to say, the old technique is
     slower, but it requires less sophisticated machinery, and of course
     the result is more in keeping with the period. The slides are another
     matter...

[Index for current year]
[Table of Contents]