Old questions

 I am the designated moderator and list-watcher this week, and, seeing how
little traffic there has been recently, think I will revive some old postings
that generated less traffic than they should have.   For example, on 8/13/94
Cary Karp wrote:

>2. What thoughts do you have on the subject of the "primary purpose"
>of an aging musical instrument? Is there a point in the lifespan of
>such an object after which its primary purpose is no longer to serve
>in performance contexts, but instead to serve as a (partially or
>entirely mute) document about itself and the workshop and culture that
>produced it?
     <moderator's comment> There is quite a lot of discussion around
     this topic in the "CIMCIM Guidelines".  For those who do not have
     copy, Bob Barclay has prepared a electronic version suitable for
     uploading from either CoOl or Micat-list's home system <mailserv
     @nrm.se>.  If not available yet, it will be, soon.  After you have
     had a chance to read it, it would be interesting to see some
     discussion of it here.

>3. How should guitar bridges be reglued?
     <moderator's comment>  My own preference for this, and many situations
     where an original joint must be reglued, is to use the original type
     of glue.  In this case usually hot hide glue for pre-modern instruments.
     Advantages:
     Easily reversed (usually) in the future, well known properties,
     strong enough if the joint is properly prepared and well fitted.
     (But an unasked question remains - does the bridge need to be reglued?
     For some instruments perhaps yes, but for others probably not, if the
     instrument should be retired from performance and maintained as a
     "document" as recommended in the CIMCIM Guidelines.

 >4. How should insect infestation be treated?
     <moderator's comment>  The current trend, driven by such concerns as
     personal and environmental protection, and increasingly
     stringent legislation, is away from fumigants (for example,
     methyl bromide, ethylene oxide, sulfuryl fluoride), and towards
     freezing, anoxia, or carbon dioxide, plus an array of "integrated
     pest management" techniques.  These all require close attention to
     to the proper match of agent chosen to the pest you are trying to
     kill, and will not work if dosage concentrations and contact times
     are not  correct.  One should look at the growing body of published
     information on these methods, and, consult with someone who has used
     them on historical material having problems similar to your objects.

Scott Odell <mah0c01@sivm.si.edu>

[Index for current year]
[Table of Contents]