[Table of Contents] [Search]

[frameconnews] Re: Tapes

Applegarth wrote:

> A lot of correspondents ... would probably agree that
> most framers do not cook their own paste.

I'd like to see products named and critiqued.  For example, does anybody
know whether National Starch D87 glue can be considered archival?
According to the product safety sheets, it consists of "modified wheat
starch" and nothing much else.  (All right, 1 part per million of phenol
as a preservative.)  But what does that "modified" adjective mean and
does it disqualify the glue from consideration for museum quality
framing or paper repair?  What FATG standard level would it suit?

I ask because I have found that in addition to its intended wet
mounting use, it works well in hinging, though I must admit that I have
not had to try removing hinges.  I have removed dried D87 with water, so
I know it is reversible.

Just wondered if anybody has better information.

--
Mitch Park, CPF, GCF
The Frame Place, 932 Heretaunga Street West

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/frameconnews