Re: [AV Media Matters] Equipment recommendations for converting78 records to

Although I'm not a professional Archivist, I have had some success
playing
and restoring the sound from 78 rpm records. Shure recommended their
mono
cartridge M78S. It is a moving magnet cartridge with a spherical 2.5 mil
stylus.

I do not have a 78 rpm turntable, but I'm using a program called DC V
which
allows you to play the 78 rpm recording at 33 or 45 rpm and translate
the
pitch and time of the recording to the proper 78 rpm sound. The manual
for
this program is a treasure for information on 78 rpm recordings
including
stylus specs and the actual speeds for different 78 rpm labels and
cylinder
recording as well as turnover and roll off   frequencies

The program costs about $200 and is available from tracertek.com and the
authors' web site ar www.diamondcut.com.

There is an active users group and the authors of the program are
available
to chat on line.

Kent Nance

This email was sent to: waiscool@cool.conservation-us.org