Re: [AV Media Matters] Digitizing Audio and Video-ReallyBigPost

More on the matter:

I just spent a ferry ride back home discussing BU with an IT "guru" type. He seems to think tape is the way to go, agrees that CDs are really not a good idea; hard discs lose their magnetism over time unless they are spinning. He suggests DLT; he doesn't like the idea of AIT because as the head spins, there is greater risk of the head becoming misaligned, and we all know what playing back a tape recorded on a misaligned machine is about.

Since people are moving to super DLT, he suggests good deals are to be had on e-bay. The reliability of DLT vs. SDLT is apparently the same.

As for my dislike of tape drop outs, apparently computer data tapes are written with redundancies; there are also ways you can encode the file previous to storing it to tape to further minimize chances of data loss due to drop outs, etc. I believe he suggested Reed-Solomon encoding, which I have found some info on here:

http://www.4i2i.com/reed_solomon_codes.htm

Also, he mentioned that any form of compression isn't a good idea, as you have a greater likelihood of losing data.

He suggests restoring the tapes every 5 years or so (stored in climate controlled environment), and if all is OK, then shelve it again for a while and re-test. If there is a problem, keep working at restoring it, and once you have the data (hopefully), do a new back-up.

Best,

Alyssa.