Re: [AV Media Matters] The FILE is the thing ! Was-DigitizingAudio and Vide

Adam:

Your emails and articles are always great.  Thanks for all the helpful
info over the years.

Question, can I use the numbers below to 1) calculate how big my miniDV
files will be when I park them on a hard drive (ex:
10minx60sec/minx29Mb/sec=17.40Gb per 10 min of DV, roughly 105Gb per
hour then), (not sure if b= bits and B=Bytes)??

And 2), how will this convert to a burnt DVD?  I know there are a lot of
variables in this question.  I just started using Apple iDVD to burn the
family movies I edit in iMovie and FCP.  I am confused by the file size,
for example, I just burnt a 10 min iMovie on to a DVD-R using iDVD (all
the very latest versions).  Yet file is well below the 4.7 GB capacity
of my DVD-Rs; I'd rather use as much of the disk as possible to preserve
quality (i.e., us minimal compression).

Thanks again, Larry

adam@adamwilt.com wrote:
> Consumer DV (DV compression) 25Mb/s
> DVC-PRO (and related formats) 25, 50, and 100Mb/s (100 is High Def)

That's just the video stream. With audio and data, DV25 is more like
28-29 Mbit/sec, and the others scale proportionally.

> Compressed High Definition Video 100Mb/s (DVC-ProHD) and
> 360Mb/s (HD-D5)

And HDCAM: 135 Mbit/sec.

> Uncompressed High Definition Video 1500Mb/s

For 4:2:2, never mind the 4:4:4 of HDCAM-SR, or the Thompson Viper. And
the Dalsa Origin is around 1.2 GBYTES/sec!

Don't get me started on digital intermediates for the mopix industry.
The new CML list is entitled cml-2k-444 and has started off with a
discussion of scanning at 6k resolution! I don't even want to THINK
about the storage requirements... ;-)

adam wilt / video geek / menlo park ca usa

--0-2050641930-1054474797=:44315

<DIV>Adam:&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Your emails and articles are always great.&nbsp; Thanks for all the
helpful info over the years.&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Question, can I use the numbers below to 1) calculate how big my
miniDV files will be when I park them on a hard drive (ex:
10minx60sec/minx29Mb/sec=17.40Gb per 10 min of DV, roughly 105Gb per
hour then),&nbsp;(not sure if b= bits and B=Bytes)??&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>And 2), how will this convert to a burnt DVD?&nbsp; I know there
are a lot of variables in this question.&nbsp; I just started using
Apple iDVD to burn the family movies I edit in iMovie and FCP.&nbsp; I
am confused by the file size, for example, I just burnt a 10 min iMovie
on to a DVD-R using iDVD (all the very latest versions).&nbsp;&nbsp;Yet
file&nbsp;is well below the 4.7 GB capacity of my DVD-Rs; I'd rather use
as much of the disk as possible to preserve quality (i.e., us minimal
compression).&nbsp; &nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Thanks again, Larry<BR><BR><B><I>adam@adamwilt.com</I></B>
wrote:</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT:
#1010ff 2px solid">&gt; Consumer DV (DV compression) 25Mb/s<BR>&gt;
DVC-PRO (and related formats) 25, 50, and 100Mb/s (100 is High
Def)<BR><BR>That's just the video stream. With audio and data, DV25 is
more like <BR>28-29 Mbit/sec, and the others scale
proportionally.<BR><BR>&gt; Compressed High Definition Video 100Mb/s
(DVC-ProHD) and<BR>&gt; 360Mb/s (HD-D5)<BR><BR>And HDCAM: 135
Mbit/sec.<BR><BR>&gt; Uncompressed High Definition Video
1500Mb/s<BR><BR>For 4:2:2, never mind the 4:4:4 of HDCAM-SR, or the
Thompson Viper. And <BR>the Dalsa Origin is around 1.2
GBYTES/sec!<BR><BR>Don't get me started on digital intermediates for the
mopix industry. <BR>The new CML list is entitled cml-2k-444 and has
started off with a <BR>discussion of scanning at 6k resolution! I don't
even want to THINK <BR>about the storage requirements... ;-)<BR><BR>adam
wilt / video geek / menlo park ca
======<BR>This email was sent to: sdr_inc@yahoo.com<BR><BR>EASY
UNSUBSCRIBE click here:
http://topica.com/u/?aaP8EW.bVIBRs.c2RyX2lu<BR>Or send an email to: