Re: [AV Media Matters] Digitizing Audio and Video-ReallyBigPost

----- Original Message -----
From: <alyssa@musicnorth.com>
To: "AV Media Matters" <AV-Media-Matters@topica.com>
Sent: Saturday, May 31, 2003 11:04 AM
Subject: Re: [AV Media Matters] Digitizing Audio and Video-ReallyBigPost

> Also, he mentioned that any form of compression isn't a good idea, as
> you have a greater likelihood of losing data.

Yes, if the area on a tape the file occupies is damaged more data will
be lost if it is compressed.  However, a compressed tape file will be
less likely to occupy a damaged area of the tape because it occupies
less tape.
I haven't encountered a data tape drive which can resynchronize after
completely losing data in the middle of a file.  Taking this into
account it seems that data in a lossly compressed file is less likely to
be lost.

If anyone knows of drives which can regain sychronization within a file
I'd like to hear about them.  I see possible use for such things but
never encountered them.

Charles P. Lamb

This email was sent to: waiscool@cool.conservation-us.org