Re: [AV Media Matters] Digitizing Audio and Video-ReallyBigPost

At 10:33 PM 5/21/03 -0400, you wrote:
I see making a backup of hard disk material onto another medium as absolutely essential! I would never trust a hard disk array as the
sole

method of storing archival material. Drives fail all the time (whether

from "head crashes" or something else) and require regular monitoring

keep the data on the system intact.

I can't quite envision hard disks as the primary storage medium for long-term preservation. Great for immediate access and manipulation,
but
much too volatile to be considered "permanant" (much more so than
tape).

Maybe I misunderstand the suggestion, but I have heard various
archivists
talking about this idea and it makes me nervous!

-- Eric Wenocur
Lab Tech Systems

Yeah, Things change too quickly in the computer world. I have a
computer that is not that old. It uses IDE drives. It wouldn't understand ATA drives. 5 years from now ATA will be legacy. Cripes, remember 3 1/4" floppies?

Mark P

rockvile md us na terra soslys orionarm.......

This email was sent to: waiscool@cool.conservation-us.org