[AV Media Matters] SVHS Correction & Preservation

Hello All,

I have a historically valuable 1,000 hour videotape archive on SVHS. I'd

like to duplicate the entire archive to a different format for
preservation and work tapes.

What format should I be going to for least quality loss, without
spending more than I need to? For reasons of economics, I'd prefer to
use the same format for both my editing and preservation copies. If,
however, there's a compelling reason to do otherwise, I could be
convinced.

In addition, would it be best to process and color correct the videos as

I duplicate them, or should that be left for the editing process? I'm
afraid that if I leave it for editing, I'll lose vital information in
the dubbing stage, and I will not have as much flexibility in correction

as I'll have if I correct when I copy from the original masters.

So, two questions:
1. What format?
2. Color/sound correction during dubbing, or no?

Eli Shmotkin
Jewish Educational Media
784 Eastern Parkway
Suite 403