Re: [AV Media Matters] DVD as Storage Medium

Richard Hess wrote:

> At 03:41 PM 12/11/2002 -0600, rburkel@juno.com wrote:
>>Mitsui Gold CD/DVD will survive for many decades but the retrieval
>>system will be obsolete in a few years.
>>
>>Most people would agree with Jim.
>>
>>What a sad situation. The endless obsolescence problem is well known,
>>unfortunately the solution seems to be unknown.
>
> I could be way off base with this, and there are motivations within the
> media distribution industries to limit this, but I think that the 120mm
> disc will be around in various guises for a while. We have a 20-year
> legacy of recorded music and now we have a 5+ year legacy of DVDs.
>
> I think that future players for a long time will be able to play the
> standard formats such as Red Book Audio, Standard (original) DVD, and
> standard CD-ROM (is that Orange book)?
>
> The areas where I am less certain is in all the plethora of other
> formats
> using the 120mm disc including DVD-A and SACD.
>
> To me, the basic Red Book audio and Orange? Book CD-ROM are likely to be
> the cockroach formats for years to come. I suspect a 50-year readability
> cycle for these.
>
> I could be wrong, but I hope not, and I don't think so. At the end of its
> life, it will be EBAY 2030 where we'll find antique readers just as I now
> buy the odd Sony APR-5003V analog tape recorder from EBAY 2002 <smile>.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Richard

Immediate floppy diskette obsolence has been predicted for decades.
The ISO Standard (IBM) format has survived while many non-standard
others (Atari, etc) are gone.

Manufacturers survive by developing and marketing new technologies,
and support older ones only so long as there is a large installed
base. The large number of CD and DVD read drives indicate long-term
support.

Retrieval systems for high quality CD and DVD discs based upon ISO
Standard formats should be around for a long time. It is not
predictable whether writers will still be around for that period,
but that is not the issue.

CD-DA is defined in CEI IEC 908, CD-ROM is defined in ISO/IEC 10149,
and DVD-ROM is defined in ISO/IEC 16448. Proprietary Philips color
books are Red for CD-DA, Yellow for CD-ROM, and Orange for CD-R and
CD-RW.

Jerry
Media Sciences, Inc.