Re: [AV Media Matters] DVD as Storage Medium

How ironic this statement is, as the 2000 US Census electronic
records are currently being migrated from electronic records to
film......

Manufacturers are part of the problem, but not all of it.  We use
the term "supplemental migration" in our daily dialog with our
record label clients, to try and make them understand there is no
all-encompassing solution to predict what the future will deliver.

It's my opinion that the "digital age" will simply make that process
easier and perhaps more automated.......but you're not going to get
the government to legislate Intel and others to stop making
technological advances, nor should the government subsidize
buggy-whip manufacturers.

Those evil profits that many manufacturers make actually have made
our lives better in many respects.

-John Spencer
Bridge Media Solutions, Inc.

> From: rburkel@juno.com
> Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 15:41:20 -0600
> To: AV Media Matters <AV-Media-Matters@topica.com>
> Subject: Re: [AV Media Matters] DVD as Storage Medium
>
> Mitsui Gold CD/DVD will survive for many decades but the retrieval
> system
> will be obsolete in a few years.
>
> Most people would agree with Jim.
>
> What a sad situation. The endless obsolescence problem is well known,
> unfortunately the solution seems to be unknown.
>
> It's obvious that manufacturers will not provide a solution. They are
> "for profit" entities and are driven by the profit motive to sell new
> products, not providing access to AV on obsolete media.
>
> I think at some point, Governments will have to get involved, as many
> have to preserve and provide long term access to their Countries
Census