Re: [AV Media Matters] DVD as Storage Medium

At 03:41 PM 12/11/2002 -0600, rburkel@juno.com wrote:
>Mitsui Gold CD/DVD will survive for many decades but the retrieval system
>will be obsolete in a few years.
>
>Most people would agree with Jim.
>
>What a sad situation. The endless obsolescence problem is well known,
>unfortunately the solution seems to be unknown.

I could be way off base with this, and there are motivations within
the media distribution industries to limit this, but I think that
the 120mm disc will be around in various guises for a while. We have
a 20-year legacy of recorded music and now we have a 5+ year legacy
of DVDs.

I think that future players for a long time will be able to play the
standard formats such as Red Book Audio, Standard (original) DVD,
and standard CD-ROM (is that Orange book)?

The areas where I am less certain is in all the plethora of other
formats using the 120mm disc including DVD-A and SACD.

To me, the basic Red Book audio and Orange? Book CD-ROM are likely
to be the cockroach formats for years to come. I suspect a 50-year
readability cycle for these.

I could be wrong, but I hope not, and I don't think so. At the end
of its life, it will be EBAY 2030 where we'll find antique readers
just as I now buy the odd Sony APR-5003V analog tape recorder from
EBAY 2002 <smile>.

Cheers,

Richard