Re: [AV Media Matters] CD-R vs. R-DAT

Molly

Helical is a proven technology.  I was on the team that developed the
first
helical tape recorder in 1962 and I was responsible for making sure that

tapes would interchange machine-to-machine.

On more recent videotape machines, I have run extensive durability
tests.  I
ran several tapes 20,000 passes with NO increase in error rate except at
the
points where the tape threaded/untreaded around the scanner.  That's why
we
tell people to only eject a cassette tape after the recording.

The reason there were errors at the thread/untread points is that the
air
film on the heads collapses and the video heads actually touch the tape
for a
brief instant.  Normally, the video heads do not contact the tape.  If
they
did, they would wear out fast.  How many hours have you operated your
VHS
recorder with no head problem?

I have 30 audio tapes made in 1943 and they play just fine so tape CAN
last a
long time.

I have never recommended DAT or VHS for archiving but they are great
formats
for viewing and distribution.

Jim Wheeler

This email was sent to: waiscool+av-media-matters@cool.conservation-us.org