[AV Media Matters] Best Practices for Video Storage

Hello,

My institution has recently received two large video collections, mostly
3/4
inch tape, from a documentary film maker and a local community access
cable
station.  I am researching and trying to come to some conclusions about
appropriate storage for this media.  Our stack areas are dark, dry,
humidity
and temperature controlled with metal shelving.  So I think the basics
are
covered.  I am interested in the pros and cons of different video
storage
methods.  Preservation, ease of labeling, ease of retrieval and cost are
all
concerns.

Should video tape be stored long term in plastic containers?

Will lack of air in plastic containers prevent off gassing and cause the
tape to deteriorate faster?

If tapes are left in plastic containers what labeling methods are
successful?

Is lining up individual tapes (in protective containers) on the shelves
recommended?

Are multiple tapes stored on edge in archival boxes preferable to lining
up
tapes on the shelves?

If multiple tapes are stored in archival boxes, should the tapes still
be in
individual enclosures?

Any suggestions or assistance that anyone can provide will be
appreciated.

Lisa Wood
Audiovisual Archivist
Ohio Historical Society