Re: [AV Media Matters] New Test Results

Results we reported for CD discs were based on tests conducted in close
coordination with the USPS and with one of the companies that irradiate
mail under contract to the USPS. Electron beam energy and dose were
comparable to those now in use for that purpose.

Information from Mr. Brothers is somewhat confusing. It seems to be
second-hand and third-hand information, and is not confirmed by the
controlled experiments we just reported. Media Sciences is not aware of
any irradiation of mail that melts package contents, including CD discs
and jewel cases? When did this irradiation occur? Was it U.S. mail or
did it go through a different postal system?

J. Hartke

Peter Brothers wrote:

> Tape, as well as discs are being damaged by the irradiation now being
> used
> on mail.
>
> After giving a presentation at the National Archives in DC on disaster
> recovery of magnetic tapes, I was approached by a government employee
> who
> asked if irradiation is likely to damage magnetic tape.  I mentally
> reviewed
> the studies that have been done by various agencies and industries
over
> the
> years and answered, as most experts would, "No, irradiation is not
> likely to
> seriously damage magnetic tape".  And, unless someone does something
> that
> most experts wouldn't consider because it is obviously ridiculous, the
> answer was correct.
>
> Of course, this government agency had recently received a number of
> magnetic
> recordings through the mail that had been melted.
>
> It was once safe to take magnetic media through airport security.
They

This email was sent to: waiscool+av-media-matters@cool.conservation-us.org