RE: [AV Media Matters] CD's Robust nature-cigarette burns

Sally,
Audio CD Players are designed to compensate for defects in the CDs but what
you must understand is there is error correction being applied to your
music.  If the error correction is heavily applied the sound or tone of the
music can be changed.  So even though you could here the music from a CD
with the cigarette burn it most likely did not sound the same as the
original source.
John Norman
Max Optical
www.maxoptical.com

10 years ago when I was working in an audio video
store we used to play back very badly usedcds on a B+)
(Bang and Olufsen) cd player to demonstrate the error
correction. The crowning achievement of the player
came when it  was asked to play a cd that had a small
cigarette burn. It did!
Who's to say  what will hold up and what willnot? I
recently picked up a free 8-track recorder+player and
tapes-after 30 years those badly designed  cartridges
stillplay as well!

Sally Fisher