RE: [AV Media Matters] CD's Robust nature-cigarette burns

At 01:31 PM 06/25/2001 -0400, jnorman@maxoptical.com wrote:
>Sally,
>Audio CD Players are designed to compensate for defects in the CDs but
>what you must understand is there is error correction being applied to
>your music.  If the error correction is heavily applied the sound or tone
>of the music can be changed.  So even though you could here the music from
>a CD with the cigarette burn it most likely did not sound the same as the
>original source.
>John Norman
>Max Optical
>www.maxoptical.com

John,

Please help me out--I'm confused here. I thought there were actually two
flavors of things happening:

Error correction: Isn't this the built-in redundancy --doesn't this have to
do with the Reed-Solomon code and all those things that I gloss over (the
preferred choice to glazing over)--that actually can fully correct errors
so that the output bitstream is the same as the input bitstream?

Error concealment: Doesn't this take over when the error correction's
capability to correct is exceeded? This may introduce audible artifacts
into the program.

I've read (but don't feel that I know this for a 100% fact) that when one
rips an audio CD track via a CD-ROM drive, at least the level of error
concealment and perhaps one level of error correction is bypassed. Can
someone confirm this with a serious URL?

Thanks!

Richard