RE: [AV Media Matters] CD's Robust nature-cigarette burns

10 years ago when I was working in an audio video
store we used to play back very badly usedcds on a B+)
(Bang and Olufsen) cd player to demonstrate the error
correction. The crowning achievement of the player
came when it  was asked to play a cd that had a small
cigarette burn. It did!
Who's to say  what will hold up and what willnot? I
recently picked up a free 8-track recorder+player and
tapes-after 30 years those badly designed  cartridges
stillplay as well!

Sally Fisher