[AV Media Matters] Echo Discs

Hi,

We have several Echo Discs here that I am hesitant to attempt to play
before gathering more info.  Anyone have experience with these?  How
about cleaning?  My guess is they will sound like someone running their
fingernails down a chaulkboard.

They are six inch discs and quite heavy, probably made of steel.  The
surfaces appear to be corroded in spots.

For others who are unfamiliar or curious, they were novelty discs for
instantaneous recording, but I don't have any dates.  The directions on
the sleeves read:  Place an Echo Disc on the turn table of your
phonograph.  Use a loud steel phonograph needle - - and a megaphone.
Then sing or talk into the horn or sound chamber keeping the megaphone
close to the phonograph - - that's all.  You will immediately hear your
voice by replaying Echo Disc without changing the needle.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you, Jeff
--
Jeff Carroll
Audio Preservation & Restoration Engineer