[AV Media Matters] Apprentice/training in non-print archiving, dead media transl

Hello,

I've always been interested in the topics discussed on this list and I
was wondering how many of you got into the work of doing what you do.
While I'm not in college anymore (4 years since graduation) I'm still
considering what I'd like to be working on seriously in five years.
Collecting and learning about dead media and saving it in accessible
formats has always been a hobby of mine and I imagine it was for many of
you before you started getting paid for your work and expertise. What
recommendations do you have for getting started working in this field?
Is a library science degree/Archival Training certificate necessary? Any
other words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Aharon Varady