RE: [AV Media Matters] Technical Question (Connecting TV as

Miriam,

I totally agree with José.

For the audio, since the Sony decks probably have balanced outputs
without transformers, you'll want to connect pin 2 of the XLR to the
tip of the RCA plug and pin 1 of the XLR to ground. If no audio
results, move the ground wire to pin 3 (that would be because the
output was a floating transformer which might be there depending on
the vintage of the machine).

If the audio is clipped/distorted  at the TV you'll want to make a
little 10dB or so pad The easiest way to do this is to get a 470 ohm
resistor and a 1K ohm resistor. Put the 1K ohm resistor in series
with the wire coming from pin 2. Connect the 470 ohm resistor across
the pin and sleeve of the RCA connector. 1/8 resistors watt are
fine. Values are not critical.

Good luck!

Richard

At 08:52 AM 07/11/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>Hello Miriam.
>
>Before buying anything, even as cheap as an RF converter, I believe you said
>the TV has separate audio and video inputs. These should come with RCA type
>jacks. First thing is to try and connect your BNC video output through a
>BNC-to-RCA male adaptor into the video input jack, and the XLR (Canon) audio
>output through a corresponding XLR to RCA male cable into the RCA audio
>input jack.
>
>The wrong idea is to get through the UHF antenna connection. For that, you
>need an RF (radio frequency) converter, but that converts the signal into
>something well described by the moderator as Ugh!
>
>Good luck!
>
>José E. Llufrío
><llufrio@icaic.inf.cu>
>Moderators Comment
>
>Whoops - that is what happens when you have too much email to read.
>Absoulutely correct I really did not read closely - if you have a video
>input there is no reason at all for a rf converter - a bnc to rca connector
>converter - and they are available at ...... well the cheap ones are
>available at Radio Shack....
>
>jim

Richard L. Hess                              richard@richardhess.com
Glendale, CA USA                           http://www.richardhess.com/
Web page: folk and church music, photography,
                  broadcast engineering, home wiring, and more