RE: [AV Media Matters] Transcriptions

smolians@erols.com wrote:

>Playing lacquer discs wet with a solution of acetic acid, etc., actually
>restores to the molecule an atom that has vanished during the aging
process.
>Or so the folks from the Manchester Polytechnic informed when I
demonstrated
>this phenomenon at a JTC conference 198?.  Different lacquer formulations
>require different chemicals to effect this recompletion.  There are some
for
>which I have never found anything that works.

This is a new one on me!

Can you give a little more detail and proceedure on this?
Could this simply be a case of the acetic acid "wetting" the surface
like some people were doing with LP's?  Many of the discs so used could
never be played dry after, I suspect because of deposited mineral
content from the water used... it should have been distilled, but often
was ordinary tap water.

What concentration of acetic acid was used... common household vinegar
is 5%.

I wonder if Kodak acetic acid intended for stop baths could be applied,
appropriately diluted, although I don't know what the "indicator" is
that Kodak uses and whether or not it would be harmful.

Comments?

... Graham Newton

--
World class professional services applied to phonograph and tape
recordings for consumers and re-releases, featuring CEDAR processes.