[AV Media Matters] Transcriptions

Playing lacquer discs wet with a solution of acetic acid, etc., actually
restores to the molecule an atom that has vanished during the aging process.
Or so the folks from the Manchester Polytechnic informed when I demonstrated
this phenomenon at a JTC conference 198?.  Different lacquer formulations
require different chemicals to effect this recompletion.  There are some for
which I have never found anything that works.

The problem here is that people are talking about cleaning and think that is
what  they are doing when discussing this old surface-quieting process.   It
was used by radio engineers in the 1930s.  Any cleaning is an simply an
added benefit.

One flaw in that ARSC article was that this process was misunderstood by the
writer and their lab from which some of the technical data was drawn.

Steve Smolian