RE: [AV Media Matters] Converting to non-linear editing

Irene, My name is Bryan Fails and I am responsible for the post production
department here at the Home and Garden Television Network.  We have 7
editing bays, comprised of three traditional linear bays, and four
non-linear bays.

While I agree with you that you should be moving forward into non-linear
editing, there are logistical and technical issues that you will need to
address as you endeavor to make the transition to non-linear based post
production.  Among those issues are first and foremost, media management.
Disk based editing requires a whole new discipline of media management  due
to the reality of limited storage space.  Compression artifacts, and their
accumulative effects on video quality are also issues that you must
consider.

Please contact me directly if you wish to discuss these and other important
considerations as you make the leap into non-linear tools.

Regards from Knoxville,

Bryan C. Fails
V.P. Post Production
Scripps Networks/ HGTV