Re: [ARSCLIST] Orphan Audio Symposium?

To reference orphan films, the definition of "orphan"  by way of Dan
Streible is the following:
Narrowly defined, it's a motion picture abandoned by its owner or caretaker.
More generally, the term refers to all manner of films outside of the
commercial mainstream: public domain materials, home movies, outtakes,
unreleased films, industrial and educational movies, independent
documentaries, ethnographic films, newsreels, censored material, underground
works, experimental pieces, silent-era productions, stock footage, found
footage, medical films, kinescopes, small- and unusual-gauge films, amateur
productions, surveillance footage, test reels, government films,
advertisements, sponsored films, student works, and sundry other ephemeral
pieces of celluloid (or paper or glass or tape or . . . ).

For orphan audio one could adapt the terminology to include:
A work or collection of audio that has been abandoned by its owner or
caretaker. More generally, the term refers to all manner of audio outside of
the commercial mainstream: public domain materials, home made, unreleased
audio,  independent documentary recordings, ethnographic recordings, early
and public radio programming, censored material, underground works,
experimental pieces,early recordings, government tapes, advertisement
recordings, student works, and sundry other ephemeral pieces surrounding
audio recordings, and other obsolete format recordings not under copyright.

I think orphan audio can mean a number of categories similar to those above
mentioned, but basically a work or collection that has been abandoned, and
those collections that have no current known rights holders. So the term
"orphan" is more of an umbrella term for a number of categories , all which
have no current place for recognition or prolonged preservation /storage.

In saying that, can we further model the above terminology to better suit
audio? And can we perhaps bring this area of topic to a platform for broader
discussion-is a symposium a worthy option to recognize these "orphan"
collections?

Best, Victoria

--
VICTORIA KEDDIE