Re: [ARSCLIST] wire recordings - archival storage/aluminum ?

From Indiana's FACET guide:

Until World War II this wire
was typically made of steel and susceptible to rust. Later, wire was
made of a type of
stainless steel—which is a stable and durable material— that was
manufactured specifically
for recording.

Because non-stainless steel wires are susceptible to rust or
corrosion, and because
non-standard size and playback speed wires are not compatible with
standard machines,
these items are at greater risk.

Non-stainless steel wires are rare but, if found, may exhibit
corrosion that makes playback
more difficult. Even stainless steel wires may be subject to some oxidation.

http://www.dlib.indiana.edu/projects/sounddirections/facet/facet_formats.pdf

Marcos

--
Marcos Sueiro Bal