Re: [ARSCLIST] wire recordings - archival storage

Tracy,

This is an area where not a lot of research has been done (at least that I've ever seen). However, based on my experience, I would at least recommend the following:

1. Do not store them in the original cardboard containers, as it invites issues with mold and moisture.

2. As much as possible, make sure there there is a _consistent_ wind on the pack, with no loose strands. (This is probably _the_ most important part for long-term storage).

3. A threaded leader should be attached, if there is none present. The end should be taped to the top of the spool with an archival, non-bleed tape (the 3M "zebra" tape is perfect for this).

4. As oxidation of the wire is always an issue, (especially with lower grade wire stock), it would be best to keep the spools in an airtight plastic container (a small 16mm plastic film canister might be an option). A desiccant pack would probably be a good idea as well, but would have to be changed periodically.

I don't really have an opinion one way or the other regarding tails out or heads out for storage. More than anything else, I think it is important to have a well functioning machine which can properly wind the spools at a constant tension.

Scott D. Smith
Chicago Audio Works, Inc.

Tracy Popp wrote:
Dear ARSC list members:

I have been doing research on archiving wire recordings for a project we are
working on here at Univ. of Illinois. I have yet to find any  information
about preferred archival storage of these types of recordings - storage
orientation, preferred archival containers, etc. I have seen recommendations
regarding storage environment temperature but nothing definitive on
container or orientation.

 I'd like to hear about how you and your institution approach archival
storage of wire recordings and if you have any particular resource you've
used to guide your decisions. Thank you in advance and I look forward to
your responses!

Best,
Tracy Popp
Graduate Student