Re: [ARSCLIST] wire recordings - archival storage

Hi Tracy,

It is too bad you hadn't posted this question last week. I was just at U of I last Thursday and Friday and would have loved to come by and discuss this topic in person with you.

Though I don't have an archive of wires, I've transferred hundreds of wires over the last ten or eleven years. My experience is similar to Michaels regarding post and pre-war wires. Post war wires have come to me after being stored in every type of environmental condition you can think of for sometimes more than 50 years. The biggest problems I have encountered has been mold in the original cardboard boxes they were stored in. These as you'd expect were from a very damp location. And the wire itself was not affected. I have gotten pre-war wires that had rust spots on them, but a few discovered in building cornerstone time capsules have been just fine.

They seem to have no problems being stored horizontally or vertically. Art Shifrin recommends storing them "tails out" which can be difficult to do unless you have his machine. I have my own feelings about the necessity of doing this.

My recommendations to clients has been to tape the end of the thread leader or bare wire (We add the thread when we transfer) to the outside of the spool so that there is no possibility for the wire on the spool to become loose. And in the case of plastic leaders, to keep a rubber band around the leader for the same reason.

Hope that helps!

Angie Dickinson Mickle
Avocado Productions
Broomfield, CO
www.avocadoproductions.com
800-246-3811

Tracy Popp wrote:
Dear ARSC list members:

I have been doing research on archiving wire recordings for a project we are
working on here at Univ. of Illinois. I have yet to find any  information
about preferred archival storage of these types of recordings - storage
orientation, preferred archival containers, etc. I have seen recommendations
regarding storage environment temperature but nothing definitive on
container or orientation.

 I'd like to hear about how you and your institution approach archival
storage of wire recordings and if you have any particular resource you've
used to guide your decisions. Thank you in advance and I look forward to
your responses!

Best,
Tracy Popp
Graduate Student