Re: [ARSCLIST] Losing New Master Recordings

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 7:56 AM, David Seubert <seubert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The article doesn't say, but I would guess that only the 2 track masters
> were lost in the bankruptcy of the pressing plant. Their use of the word
> master makes it sound like a catastrophe, which it probably isn't. So they
> have to remaster/remix the original multitrack masters? Is that how this
> works?

If the loss was at the pressing plant, wouldn't it only be the loss of
the original lacquer/mother/stamper/etc.?  I'm assuming the 2-track
mix-down tapes are still around somewhere.  A day of re-cutting is not
that big of a loss, relatively speaking.

And especially not that much of a (financial!) loss when vinyl's
getting substantially more money per unit than it did in the 90s
despite the same amount of units shipped.  RIAA stats:
http://76.74.24.142/1D212C0E-408B-F730-65A0-C0F5871C369D.pdf. (yes,
I'm aware Matador is not RIAA)

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 8:44 AM, Richard L. Hess
<arclists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I can loan them my Yo La Tengo CDs if they really need something to
>> make LPs from...
>
> The all-analogue folks wouldn't buy that. The only analog-to-analog copies
> I've done have been for an outfit like this that was offering vinyl--no
> digital allowed.

Indie-rock fans that buy vinyl, for the most part, do not not care
about releases being AAA (or sound quality at all when they buy 7" 33
RPM discs like they're Honus Wagner cards).  They're in it for the
fashion, retro, chic, etc. angle.  I'm aware this is a gross
generalization, but that's my experience after years being around that
scene on two coasts.