Re: [ARSCLIST] Losing New Master Recordings

The Unsane album I worked on was definitely analog, and for good reason.
The previous year they had made their first album for Circuit Records, a
small indie based in New Jersey. Circuit went under before their album
was released, and as the Circuit guy didn't want Unsane to release the
recording he had paid for with another company, he destroyed the DAT
master; all the band got out of the project were two vinyl test
pressings.

So the album was recorded at Wharton Tiers on 8-track and mastered to
2-track open reel; the digital master for CD was produced from the
2-track. I'm not saying that this was necessarily Matador's working
method in every release they did, even in 1991. But once you get down to
the level of individual projects there can be a lot of variety,
especially with labels that have no in-house recording facilities -- and
most don't.

David N. "Uncle Dave" Lewis
Assistant Editor, Classical