From: "Richard L. Hess" <arclists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, April 24, 2009 8:44:59 AM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Losing New Master Recordings

At 10:56 AM 2009-04-24, David Seubert wrote:
>So they have to remaster/remix the original multitrack
>masters? Is that how this works?

They would remix from the multi-tracks (which can be a long and
expensive process) and then remaster (which is not inexpensive).

>I can loan them my Yo La Tengo CDs if they really need something to
>make LPs from...

The all-analogue folks wouldn't buy that. The only analog-to-analog
copies I've done have been for an outfit like this that was offering
vinyl--no digital allowed.

Cheers,

Richard
>>On Fri, 2009-04-24 at 09:06 -0500, Dave Lewis wrote:
>>>The tradition continues....
>>>

>>>http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/apr/23/lost-album-masters-matador-reissues

Brandon Burke
Archivist for Recorded Sound Collections
Hoover Institution Archives
Stanford University
Stanford, CA 94305-6010
vox: 650.724.9711