Re: [ARSCLIST] Record Store Day 4-18-09

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Hello All,

I spent some of Record Store Day in Spillers Records in Cardiff, Wales,
United Kingdom. They claim to be the oldest record shop in the world, having
been founded in 1894. It seems that the original Mr. Spiller founded the
record shop, not as a music store taking in records (nor as a bicycle shop
doing the same), but as a dedicated shop. We all know of, say, Alf. Imhof in
London, which was a music and music instrument shop. The south coast of Wales
was a very wealthy area, being the major copper exporter as well as shipping
coal and lead. Apparently he was able to cater for the rich and their
interest in all novelties. And he had a repair shop for all machines.

It is rumored that not only cylinders and machines were sold, but also disc
records. I queried that, because to my knowledge, in 1894 a disc record
repertoire was only available in Washington, D.C. But I assured them that
from 1898, discs were on in the U.K.

Anyway, the day was celebrated by changing disc-jockeys demonstrating live
analog reproduction of LP records, complete with back-cueing and their skills
in mixing repertoire. A celebratory T-shirt had been prepared (apparently
only in XL and XXL, so no buy for me). But I bought a newly made 10" vinyl 78
rpm record - from the looks it is only the rpm but not the groove dimension
that is old standard. When I have examined it more I shall report, hopefully.
A disco with some live performance had been arranged for the evening, but I
had had my full measure of modern sound for the day, and I did not go.

Earlier I had bought a very interesting book that is freshly out:

Graham Jones: "Last Shop Standing. Whatever happened to record shops", Proper
Music Publishing, London 2009. 314 pp. ISBN 978-0-9561-2120-2
Endorsed by Suzi Quatro and others

As the back cover says ".... is a hilarious yet harrowing account by a man
who has been there and sold that". I have not read it yet, but it seems
chatty and quite anecdotal.

All the best for a period of archive-destroying sunshine, at least in the
northern hemisphere,

George

From Mike Biel: