From: "Richard L. Hess" <arclists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, April 2, 2009 4:42:54 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Re print-thru - tails out

A tape which is recorded in one direction has a "head" (start of
tape) and a "tail" (end of tape). Leaving the tape "tails out" means
that essentially the end of the tape is at the outside of the reel,
but, more importantly, it means generally that the tape has been
stored after playing without rewinding, which is a smoother pack.

On a tape recorded in both directions, obviously each end is a head
and a tail. Generally, it is left with a slow (play) wind after
playing the second side, so, even though it has a play wind (not a
fast wind) it is ready to play when started.

I'm working on putting together some more information about this on
my blog as there are some important issues that have just been
discussed on this subject.

Cheers,

Richard

Richard L. Hess                   email: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx