Re: [ARSCLIST] Re print-thru - tails out

----- Original Message ----- From: "Goran Finnberg" <mastering@xxxxxxxxx>
David Breneman:
I've been told by at least one person who worked at Ampex that one of the reasons that German made tapes
don't "ride up" on the tape pack (and therefore don't
require a top reel flange) is that the oxide side isn't
as highly polished as is common with American brands.
The rougher surface traps less air, so the wrap settles
down immediately without floating above the previous
wrap. It's that floating that is the major cause of
tape not packing evenly on fast wind.
See the following email from MRL President Jay McKnight:

<snip> Note that I once had the same sort of problem with a Sony
r2r machine...the tape would wind moving outwards, bending
the take-up reel...and the solution was a thorough cleaning
of the entire mechanism! Sadly, I lost the machine...a few
EX-friends decided to "help"(?!?!) me by holding a "contents" sale of my premises...knowing SFA about the
value of the artifacts they were dealing with...?!