Re: [ARSCLIST] FW: [ARSCLIST] w(h)ither Decca?

Hi Guys:

Here's how the ownership works nowadays. Way back in the days USA Decca was different from UK Decca,
but perhaps someone else can clarify if they were ever connected in one corporate entity. Anyway,
USA Decca was eventually part of MCA, which eventually became MCA-Universal, I think after
Matsushita sold it after a brief ownership period. British Decca was acquired by Polygram in, I
think, the 1970's. At that time, Polygram was jointly owned by Philips and Seimens, but I think
Philips eventually owned the whole thing more or less. Universal merged with Polygram in the late
90's. The Universal movie operations were sold to GE and are now NBC/Universal. Universal Music
Group now owns everything that was under MCA (MCA, ABC/Paramount, American Decca, Command, Kapp,
Westminster, Chess, Duke/Peacock, etc) and what was under Polygram (Philips, Decca, DGG, Mercury,
Verve, etc). This is kept purposely generalized because I might have one or more merger points
inexact. So, yes, anything branded "Decca" is owned by Universal. The Decca classical label seems to
be semi-active and is run by Universal Classics out of London. DGG, also owned by Universal
Classics, is still run out of Germany as far as I know.

BTW, the two other major conglomerates are Sony, which owns what used to be Columbia and RCA, and
Warner Music Group (Warner Brothers, Atlantic, Elektra/Asylum, etc). EMI/Capitol/Blue Note is the
other "Big Music" company, and it's now owned by a private equity group. I'm not sure if Concord
Music Group (also privately owned -- Concord, Fantasy Group [Fantasy, Prestige, Riverside, Pablo,
etc] and Telarc) is big enough to be "Big Music."  Maybe.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Breneman" <david_breneman@xxxxxxxxx>