From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Richard L. Hess
Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 10:17 PM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] rehousing audio cassettes

Hi, Tom,

I agree with your points,  but there are batches of tapes that are
failing in odd ways -- and I'm not even referring to the horrid
feri-chrome tape in my blog from a few years ago.

We're seeing some second-tier tapes which are becoming dimensionally
unstable and won't wind well. This is where I've been pointed towards
metal cassette shells and other "fixes" short of a Studer A80QC to
play this stuff back on.

The tapes tend to "cone up" on their hubs and then wedge against the
inside of the case. I've seen this with mostly second-tier Canadian
tapes, but have had a half dozen out of several hundred mixed lots
that have done this. They are often C-120s, but I think I had some
C90s do it as well.

There is another phenomenon that has only been very poorly documented
and that is loss of highs just sitting in a wood drawer with no
magnets around. Some suggest that it is a magnetostriction effect
with the small radii that the tapes in cassettes move over. I don't
know and I haven't seen anything in the literature, but I haven't
done a comprehensive search for this specific item.

It seems to happen shortly after recording ( ~ < 1 year ), so it
doesn't appear to be something that is limiting life, but has already
degraded the magnetic record. This may be some of the reason that
Dolby NR doesn't track as well as we'd hoped it would, especially on
cassettes (where this problem is most noticeable).

And yes, of course, always transfer from the best available source.
Sadly, with many oral history collections, the cassettes are the best
available source. My big project that I've had in here for a while is
dragging on because I'm trying to find the best copy of stuff and all
are horrid. But the metadata the client is doing is farther behind
than my transfers so if I get to keep ahead of the metadata I can do
other work.

I did transfer one nice collection of about 50 reels that had been
previously transferred to cassettes. I had to throw in the baking,
because the client thought the cassettes were "good enough" but I
just couldn't see not doing it from the reels. It was such a joy to
hear real 1/2-track mono, on 1/4-inch tape without the cassette
"filter" over it. Even if the reels were mostly 1.88 in/s. I think
they were done on a Uher or similar.

Cheers,

Richard

Richard L. Hess                   email: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx