Re: [ARSCLIST] Some DAT questions

Hi, Tom,

A few thoughts on this...

At 08:05 AM 2009-01-18, Tom Fine wrote:

2. one key reason I was thinking for doing these DATs digital-to-digital would be the real-time monitoring, so I could note the locations of any dropouts or glitches. Assuming I'll find some, are there any hidden tricks or tips to fixing them or is that audio lost on a damaged segment of tape?

Sometimes, a different machine will play a tape better. Eddie Ciletti can adjust a machine for playback to match the misaligned recorder if you run into some problematic tapes.

3. if done digital-to-computer, I'm assuming SPDIF, but does anyone have personal experience indicating either coax or optical is preferable? I was thinking optical, given the sometimes strange grounding issues of a computer.

This is probably more a function of your interfaces than of the media. In theory, both should be the same, and I use them interchangeably. I don't think I've ever heard a difference.

4. is there anything to be gained by running a simultaneous analog-to-computer? I'm thinking, no, but I'm also thinking, I sure don't have all the answers so there may be something unknown to me here.

The one place where this may help is with old DATs with the preemphasis flag set. If the digital output just carries through the preemphasis and the DAW doesn't honour the flag (as it might well not as it's expecting to pass it along to the CD output) then having the analog copy would immediately flag the offset for you and provide an immediate "out" for dealing with the preemphasis. The analog may be fine while the digital may be screechy.

6. finally, are there any DAT brands/types with known sticky-shed problems? Most of these DATs are BASF, but some are Ampex branded. I am not at all sure that Ampex manufactured its own DATs, they may have resold Japanese tape.

Some early-ish (at least to me) mid-1990s TDK DATs did awful things with head clogs--even when they were new.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Richard