Re: [ARSCLIST] Lacquer disc storage conditions

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Hello, I would like to tell you about my most exciting find of a proof that
an Audiodisc had been used in mastering and how it was used.

But first of all I would mention that there were two kinds of lacquers: those
used for mastering and those used for demos, called "playback lacquers". The
latter were slightly tougher and noisier. The discerning cutting engineer
would also know the difference between a "spring lacquer" and an "autumn
lacquer".

Now, in my constant quest for secondary or ancillary information I cannot see
a 78rpm label whithout looking also at the "below the label" information.
This will tell you about the type of press used, and e.g. Victor ca. 1930s
recordings issued on Electrola will often reveal most of the original
American writing at the centre of the wax (or metal, as the case may be).

Now, the Danish pressing by the local EMI branch of the black Pathé 10"
record (matrix CPT.9407) PT1005 is Liebeslied (Valse) by Kreisler, arr. A
Bernard, performed by Armand Bernard et son orchestre á cordes (a string
orchestra). I have not had sufficient interest in the primary information
(the music!) to check the date, but it looks like mid-1950s. Below the label
there is a very slight relief showing the make of the original laquer, and -
surprisingly - it is not a Pyral, it is an AudioDisc. Those who know what
these look like in the raw will know how I can tell..

However, the most intriguing thing is that on a circle of the same radius as
the name, there is the statement "USE OTHER SIDE"! Obviously they did not
heed the instruction, and my excitement comes from speculating how this can
be. Did the cutting engineer not read English? Did he say (in French), "what
the heck, it is only for a 78 - they won't notice the difference", or was it
the last available unrecorded side after innumerable attempts to get a good
cut?

At any rate, in addition to the quality factors mentioned above, there was
obviously also an awareness at AudioDisc that there was a preferential side
to the laquer. And as one sign of a good lacquer was that it had a continuous
lacquer layer around the edge of the aluminum plate, you could not make
single-sided lacquers that had any chance of longevity.

How did I make this under-label information visible, you may ask. I used the
old detective's pencil trick used on notepads near hotel telephones: brass
rubbing.

Kind regards,

George