To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, October 21, 2008 5:18 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Aren't recordings original sources?

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 2:07 PM, Steve Abrams <steve.abrams@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

I spoke to Hardwick once on the telephone, c. 1987.  He told me that he had
to do some CD work from tape copies because of time pressure. With respect
to special pressings I note that many if not most of the originals  in the
original LP great performances series (in the late '50s and early '60s) are
supposed to have been destroyed in the mistaken belief that it would never
be possible to improve on the tape copies made at that time.

[Sigh] There's a word for that: hubris.

I once wrote up my own experiences with playing 78rpm originals over a
widerange system (read: bass-capable) and the effect on others. Would those
fellows (Hardwicke, Crimp, etc.) had heard this before venturing ahead with
diminished capability! (The process, not them.)

"Besides containing an historic musical treasure-trove, 78s can sound *more
like the real thing than any other source, *bar none except live feed—an
extravagant claim, perhaps, but consider what 78s have going for themselves,
besides those great old tubes. They have: high velocity, wide grooves, inert
material, ribbon microphones, direct-master pressings—in short, a medley of
superior engineer­ing attributes."

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue25/cjdiarires.htm

clark