Re: [ARSCLIST] Aren't recordings original sources?

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Hello,

I thought that Keith Hardwick had fortunately been forgotten - his shoddy
work really messed things up during his "reign". Bryan Crimp was just as good
as Anthony Griffiths - his Patti, Melba, and Rosenthal on LP were school
examples of good transfer work of its period. The nearest equivalent to
Hardwick's work is precisely to spell Bryan Brian.

It is so long ago, but Hardwick had a knack of boosting - sharply - the
region around 4,500 Hz, and I would agree - with a hearing disorder stemming
from a naval career giving you a dip in that range it would be the only thing
he could do to get back the impressions of his youth. The rest of us
suffered. The proof of my assertion is easily obtained: make a Long Term
Average Spectrum of an original and a hardwickized version and subtract the
two spectra.

And Hardwick did not work from old tapes for his LPs, he had pristine vinyl
pressings made and kept the unplayed ones (you would never just press one
after having gone throught the trouble of metalworks) for his own collection.
Harwick's earlier work for smaller labels (EPs) was, relatively speaking,
much better for their time.

I rarely denigrate performances, people do the best they can, but some
results are directly misleading and hence unethical. To use an expression
borrowed from Sean Davies to cover the present case: Hardwick suffered from
delusions of adequacy.

Kind regards,

George