Re: [ARSCLIST] Aren't recordings original sources?

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 5:16 PM, Larry S Miller <lmiller@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>  I completely agree with your observation below about there being a audible
> difference depending upon electrical plug orientation (for two-pronged
> plugs.)  On many units I was able to determine the "proper" orientation by
> running the back of my hand across the faceplate of a unit.  If I felt a
> noticeable tingle, I'd reverse the plug and try again.  Invariably, the one
> with the least tingle was the best sounding.

Actually I have found, over the decades, two or three exceptions -- but I
still go with your statement.

The real problem is where no voltage difference is measurable or apparent,
but a sonic difference exists nevertheless.

>  Now, I will say that some other people seemed less able to detect this
> than I, but we did do some blind tests and I was consistently able to
> identify the same orientation on those units which had a perceptible
> difference.

They've done that on me too! I passed easily.

>  Some units seemed to have no difference, perhaps those were better
> designed.

I've often wondered...

clark