Re: [ARSCLIST] Aren't recordings original sources?

--- On Thu, 10/16/08, Clark Johnsen <clarkjohnsen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > * An example of this type of marketing, and the associated
> > reviews in magazines, is the $1499 power cord, for which
> > the reviewer states that "The choice of power cord one makes
> > to transmit AC over the final feet to a component has the
> > potential to be the most influential sonic link in a music
> > system's power chain."
>
> And that statement is incorrect, how, exactly?

Well, if the power cord cannot conduct enough current to
run the device, I suppose that makes it the most
influential component in the chain.  Otherwise, the claim
is patently silly on the face of it.  I mean, is the
reader meant to believe that a stinking power cord is
more important than a transformer, or rectifier or
filter?

> And what
> makes it a matter of "marketing" anyway? Alternatively,
> everything is marketing.

Because a $1500 power cord is designed to separate a
sucker from his money.  That's pure marketing.