Re: [ARSCLIST] Aren't recordings original sources?

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 7:16 PM, Richard L. Hess
<arclists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> I continue to see comments disparaging my use of the phrase "properly
> designed".

That would have been me!

My objection to its use, lies in the bland assumption that most gear
*is*"properly designed", whereas most gear's susceptibility to these
"tweaks"
we're discussing proves that it isn't.

Further, it demonstrates that we hardly know what "proper" means in an audio
context.

> I do think that we need to get after manufacturers to properly design
> equipment so that these synergistic cable effects are minimized.

Indeed. But first they'd have to concede that such things are happening,
then learn to understand why.

> One major mistake that I think has been made over the years -- and I see
> some correction in this regard -- is insisting on unbalanced
> interconnections between audio components. Balanced, low-impedance,
> voltage-matched (i.e. not power matched) interconnections make a lot more
> sense than unbalanced ones.

Certainly on runs greater than a meter or two.

> Remember my statement at the beginning of this post about "rubber gloves
> for leaky fountain pens".

How could one forget? It's a classic.

> Sometimes you may wish to continue to use the fountain pen for sentimental
> reasons or it has a nib that works just right for you, but in a production
> environment, purchasing decisions should avoid purchasing the leaky fountain
> pen in the first place.

All I can say is, *bon chance!*

clark