Re: [ARSCLIST] Aren't recordings original sources?

Don,

  Assuming I accept your view that audible differences in cables are a
reflection of improper design in either or both of the connected units,
what choice does the average person have to better the sound of his or
her system?  Most people are not in a position to correct design flaws.
So, short of replacing the offending equipment, if one can even
determine which unit is at fault, accessories such as cables are the
only choice one has.  And, as someone pointed out earlier, most stores
offer loaners so potential customers can hear the difference, or lack
thereof, in their own system, not in some audio showroom.
  No one would be happier than I if all audio companies offered
reasonably priced equipment that sounded so good that cables & such
offered no audible improvement, but until that day comes, it remains a
viable option; confusing and susceptible to scams, perhaps, but viable
nonetheless.

Larry Miller

In my opinion, if you can hear a difference between interconnects,
there
is something wrong with the design of either the output stage of the
sending box, or the input stage of the receiving box, or both.

It seems likely that the output stages of almost all CD players are
seriously under-powered. Also the input impedance of many amps is too
low, so they draw current from these output stages, instead of
measuring
voltage.

On 20/10/08, Larry S Miller wrote:
>     The current discussion of power cables brought me back to my
> days as an audio equipment salesman.
>     In the late 70's, Bob Fulton had the temerity to market a set of
> interconnect cables for the outrageous price of (are you sitting
down)
> $30/pair.  To say they were met with scepticism is an
understatement;
> condemnation was more like it.  This is understandable since, as the
> time, interconnects ran about $5/pair.
>     I was among the muttering sceptics.  How could anyone in good
> conscience charge $30 for cables?
>     Then I listened to them. As I recall, the first words out of my
mouth
> were, â
>     I felt very conflicted about this. One the one hand, I was
delighted
> that for only $30, I could have as large an effect as replacing my
> power amp; on the other, I was still hung up about paying $30 for a
> pair of cables. Eventually, I caved and bought a set, which I still
> have.
>     Through the years,  I’ve heard many cables, some good, some
> not, and I’ve come to a few conclusions.  One reason audio cables
are
> particularly difficult to review is that, more than most types of
> equipment, cables are synergistic.  Their performance, good or bad,
> varies with the equipment they are connecting.  An interconnect may
> sound good between a CD player and preamp, but not so good between
the
> preamp and power amp.

>     I remain very sceptical about judging equipment by measurements
> alone. If measurements tell us everything about how audio equipment
> sounds, why do they keep inventing new ones? First, there was THD,
> total harmonic distortion.

The question here is, do you measure with instruments or with ears?
Either way, you are measuring.

Most sciences progress by devising better measurements; consider
astronomy, for instance.

Measuring (for instance) THD tells you something, but you need to know
how it varies at different voltage levels, and into different loads.

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx