Re: [ARSCLIST] Aren't recordings original sources?

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 11:19 PM, John Ross <johnross@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> At  10/16/2008 07:46 PM, M Rockwell wrote:
>
>> And how about that awful, noisy step-down transformer out on the pole?
>> What are you gonna do about that?
>> Bah.
>>
>> John Ross wrote:
>>
> That's what "power conditioners" are for. I have seen the difference on a
> 'scope before and after something filters out the noise on an AC line, but I
> would not want to argue that there's an audible difference to the sound of
> amplifiers using filtered AC based on my own subjective listening.

I'll argue it! Sometimes, some models effect a decided improvement. And not
just on amplifiers. I'm talking source components as well.

> Placebo effect, anyone? If it cost all that money, it must do *something*,
> mustn't it?

The placebo effect has a reverse aspect too. People who believe
something *won't
*work, can fail to hear it when it does, for that reason.

clark