Re: [ARSCLIST] FM reception way back when

Bob Olhsson wrote:
Some of the most stunningly beautiful audio I ever heard was Chicago's WFMT
picked up in mono around 1965 from my college dorm room in Olivet Michigan.
(Top notch mono hi fi gear was available really cheap at that time.) I had
no idea what FM was capable of before I heard that station.

WFMT still sounds well today, as does the "news/public affairs/Wait Wait Don't Tell Me" public radio station WBEZ. Catch either station on something like a mid-to-late 1950s Telefunken Opus and you can feel the announcers breathe. The late WNIB, Chicago's other classical music station until the founder/owners retired and sold the station, also had very good audio.

Especially with good hi-fi gear, it still sounds as though most classical and jazz stations (old-fashioned jazz, not "smooth jazz") employ much less noticeable compression and limiting than do the hotter-signal pop stations. Just as with many FM stations of yore, you still get a very slight hum of "room tone" on these stations when the announcers get potted up; for me, that room tone WAS the sound of FM when I was a lad. Gave it depth and made the signal breathe, but I can't explain why....it's intangible, yet palpable.

Michael Shoshani
Chicago