From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Tom Fine
Sent: Monday, October 06, 2008 9:09 AM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] FM reception way back when

I grew up in lower Westchester and we never had this problem with a roof-top
antenna, except on
Channel 2 during the annual solar activity in the late summer and early
fall. Reception was great,
especially after the World Trade Center was built. We were on a height of
land point on the border
of Harrison and White Plains. I didn't know from cable TV until I lived
upstate after college. FM
reception was also excellent, with just a plain dipole tacked to the wall.
FM content was another
matter, I grew up in the late 70's and 80's so it was already headed down
the toilet but was much
better than the unlistenable FM dial of today. I now live in an area that is
a true fringe zone (far
enough north of NYC to not get any stations from the Empire State building
and far enough east of
the Hudson to miss the Hudson Valley stations and on the back-slope of a big
hill so no line of
sight to much unless I wanted to build a tall tower out back, which is not
in the cards) so I do
very little radio listening anymore. If the content were more compelling and
there were no internet
streams, I might reconsider the tower idea, but such is not the case.

-- Tom Fine