Re: [ARSCLIST] FM reception way back when

I grew up in lower Westchester and we never had this problem with a roof-top antenna, except on Channel 2 during the annual solar activity in the late summer and early fall. Reception was great, especially after the World Trade Center was built. We were on a height of land point on the border of Harrison and White Plains. I didn't know from cable TV until I lived upstate after college. FM reception was also excellent, with just a plain dipole tacked to the wall. FM content was another matter, I grew up in the late 70's and 80's so it was already headed down the toilet but was much better than the unlistenable FM dial of today. I now live in an area that is a true fringe zone (far enough north of NYC to not get any stations from the Empire State building and far enough east of the Hudson to miss the Hudson Valley stations and on the back-slope of a big hill so no line of sight to much unless I wanted to build a tall tower out back, which is not in the cards) so I do very little radio listening anymore. If the content were more compelling and there were no internet streams, I might reconsider the tower idea, but such is not the case.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Weiner" <djwein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, October 06, 2008 9:54 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] FM reception way back when

I like the accuracy of the current TV show MAD MEN, which takes place in
1962. The main family lives in Westchester and whenever we see the parents
or kids watching TV, the reception is a bit off - slight double images,
occasional snow - just as it would have been then using a rooftop TV antenna
from such a distance from New York City.

Dave W.