[ARSCLIST] And--was: [ARSCLIST] cassette crackle

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Lennick" <dlennick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Pretty well covered by recent posters. Incidentally, we had a similar problem with tapes made on our ancient Utah tape recorder (full track, bought in 1950). When we began copying the tapes made on that machine over to the Wollensak in 1959, anything recorded prior to 1955 had to be copied from another Wollensak because repeated repairs to the Utah had resulted in its running fast (about 8 IPS) and the tapes were noisy and cruddy sounding after a certain point, probably because of head wear. We didn't have a quarter-track machine yet so we were too dumb to know that we'd get better results from the right channel or down the middle of the tape track.
dl

Which reminded me of another problem which is/was fairly common on "home-
use grade" cassettes...! While these machines usually run close enough to the
standard 1-7/8 speed that cassettes don't sound noticeably "off-speed"..
nevertheless, they DON'T all run at exactly the same speed! I found this out
when usingt a different "dubbing" deck to copy a cassette originally recorded
on a different tape deck; the reason I notice the "accumulated" speed difference
(tape recorded on deck A, then dub-copied on deck B, and that tape played
back on deck A again...!), is because I tried playing harmonica along with the
resulting tape, and found it was no longer in the key of E (A harmonica, 2nd
position) as the LP I had originally taped had been...?!